Checklist for Surgery
1. If you are having surgery or a procedure that requires anesthesia, it is necessary to come to the Pre-Operative Clinic for lab work and/or instructions. The Pre-operative Clinic is located just behind the main Admitting desk at Entrance 3. We now offer scheduled appointments between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, except holidays, 1-7 days prior to your procedure. Make sure you have a scheduled Pre-operative clinic appointment before you leave your providers office.
2. Check with your insurance company to get pre-authorization if required. For convenience and to expedite the registration process, call Providence Admitting to Pre-Register at (907)-212-3149. Please have insurance and demographic information readily available.
3. Print and fill out the patient medical history work sheet if you did not receive one from your surgeon and bring to the Pre-operative clinic and give it to the nurse at the time of your scheduled appointment.
4. If you have any special medical needs, please contact your physician for instructions.
5. Please bring an up-to-date list of all your medicines, vitamins, minerals and supplements with the dose and frequency. If you do not have a list, bring your medicines in a labeled bottle with you.
6. On the day of your procedure, arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home and stay with you after surgery/procedure. You may ride in a cab ONLY if you are accompanied by another responsible adult (NOT the cab driver).
7. Your surgeon will provide you with your surgery/procedure time. Please arrive at the hospital 2 hours before your surgery or an anesthesia assisted procedure. If you are having conscious sedation or no sedation, please arrive 1 1/2 hours prior.
8. Wear loose comfortable clothing; DO NOT WEAR ANY JEWELRY, MAKEUP, LOTIONS, FINGERNAIL/TOENAIL POLISH, or PERFUME. Any rings that are too snug to remove should be removed by a jeweler and left at home. Any hidden piercings or studs must also be removed. Be aware, if necessary, your rings may need to be cut off in day surgery if they cannot be removed.
9. If you are to have a procedure that does not require anesthesia a nurse will be calling you before your scheduled procedure date to take your medical history, provide any instructions, and answer any questions you may have about your procedure.
10. Be sure to shower the night before and the morning of your procedure as directed by your provider.
to view a sample worksheet that may help you prepare for your visit.
For more information
For more information about surgery services at Providence Alaska Medical Center, please call (907) 212-3681. To find general information and specific health topics, visit our online health library