At the Children’s Hospital at Providence, we want to help as much as possible to ease the grief you are feeling with the death of your child.
These are some of the steps you will need to take soon after the death occurs:
1. Decide with the help of your physician whether an autopsy will be performed. If it is done, you will be asked to sign a request / authorization form.
2. If you are part of a faith community, contact the leader to make arrangements for services you want for your child, your family, and friends. Local mortuaries also arrange services if one is desired.
3. Choose a mortuary (a card is provided listing the local mortuary service providers in Anchorage). You may want to call and interview several to find one that you feel comfortable with. Once you choose one, notify the hospital staff working with your child.
The mortuary will come to the hospital to pick up your child and prepare them for the service you choose.
If you have further questions or concerns, please contact us:
- Mother/Baby Unit: 212-3612
- Newborn Intensive Care Unit: 212-3614
- Pediatric Intensive Care: 212-3133
- Spiritual Care Department: 212-2990
- Social Worker on-call: 562-2211