Each year in the State of Alaska over 2,500 individuals receive a cancer diagnosis and 800 Alaskans die from cancer. Cancer impacts not only the patient but the entire family: physically, emotionally, spiritually and financially. Thanks to the new Providence Cancer Center, a diagnosis of cancer in Alaska is a journey no family has to undergo alone.
An Education Home Party with a Philanthropic Twist!
Gather your friends, neighbors, coffee group or book club in the comfort of your own home and enjoy a meaningful and personal dialogue about the incredible support services available for cancer patients and their loved ones at the Providence Cancer Center.
Caring Connections Home Party Topics
Patient Navigation - A cancer diagnosis can be devastating. Learn how a team of professionals works to remove barriers to care by empowering patients and their families with the tools they need to be able to navigate and understand the health care system and what is happening to them and their lives.
Susan Butcher Family Center
- The Susan Butcher Family Center offers support, counseling and education for children and teens whose adult family member has experienced a cancer diagnosis.
Healing Arts - The healing arts program help cancer patients adapt to the changes a diagnosis brings into their lives, providing avenues for expression, release, stress management and self-exploration.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is philanthropy incorporated into a Caring Connections home party?
We believe that people today are focused on enhancing the meaning in their lives and the lives of those around them. We also believe people are looking to simplify! Rather than attending a party to buy something, a Caring Connections home party honors this awareness and enables attendees to gather with friends to both learn something meaningful and to give something to help those in need—whether it’s someone they know or another community member who is struggling with cancer.
How will my Caring Connections gift be put to use?
All gifts received during your Caring Connections home party will help sustain three specific areas the Providence Cancer Center: Patient Navigation services, the Susan Butcher Family Center and the Healing Arts program. These programs and services are provided at no cost to patients and families and depend 100% on philanthropic support.
How are gifts solicited from party attendees?
While a donation is not required, participants have the opportunity to make a special gift during your party. Attendees will also receive a packet of educational materials they can take home with them.
Where does the money go?
Caring Connections is a program of the Providence Alaska Foundation, a tax-exempt, charitable organization affiliated with Providence Health & Services Alaska. Providence Alaska Foundation works on behalf of the Providence Cancer Center, while fulfilling its mission of ensuring resources exist to meet the healthcare needs of our community.
How will my gifts to Caring Connections be recognized?
The Foundation is thankful for your support and is honored to recognize your support in many different ways, including:
- Gifts of $100 or more will be recognized in the Foundation’s Annual Report.
- All tribute gifts—made in honor or memory of someone special—will be acknowledged by a personalized card to the honoree or memorial family.
- ll hosts/hostesses are recognized in our spring/fall Gifts in Action newsletter
Steps for Hosting a Party
- If you are considering a party but need more information to decide, call Colleen Tyrrell with the Providence Alaska Foundation, at 907-212-4821, to discuss scheduling a Caring Connections party.
- Select a date and time that works best for you and your guests
- Invite your friends. You can send your own email invitations (http://www.evite.com/) or request pre printed invitations.
- On the day of your party, plan and prepare food and beverage for your guests.
- Plan for 10-15 minutes for the educational presentation and approximately 10-15 minutes for follow-up dialogue.
- As party host, speak to why you are having the party and why you support the Providence Cancer Center Support Services. Ask your guests to join you in making a gift and to consider hosting a party in their homes.
- Collect participant evaluation forms and giving envelopes.
- Have fun – it’s a party!
You can make a difference!
907-212-3600 or firstname.lastname@example.org