What is the Providence Nurse-Family Partnership program?
The Providence Nurse-Family Partnership is a program for women who are having their first baby. If you enroll, your registered nurse will visit you in your home and discuss health, baby’s growth and development, labor and delivery, infant care, and many other topics.
How often will my nurse visit?
Your nurse will visit every week or two during your pregnancy and up until your baby is 2 years old. You and your nurse will decide the exact schedule.
My nurse will help me:
- Have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby
- Become a better parent
- Build a strong network of support for me and my baby
- Make my home a safe place for my baby to live and play
- Get referrals for health care, childcare, job training and other support services available in my community
- Find ways to continue my education and develop job skills
- Set goals for my family’s future and find ways to help me reach them
How much does the program cost?
The Providence Nurse-Family Partnership is free to all eligible women.
To qualify for the Nurse-Family Partnership (NFP) Program, a woman must:
- Be no more than 28 wks 6 days pregnant
- Be a first-time mother OR have experienced a live birth previously but who have not parented for more than 30 days due to neonatal death, loss of custody, or relinquishment.
- Be low-income (WIC eligible but does not need to be enrolled in WIC)Live in targeted area (Big Lake to Girdwood)
Can my baby’s father participate too?
- The Providence Nurse-Family Partnership encourages fathers, family members and even friends to be involved in the visits and learn how they can best support you
- You and your nurse decide who gets involved
- Because you are the one who carries the baby and are the first person to take care of your baby, you are the one who is actually enrolled in the program. You are the main focus of the nurse.
For more information
For more information about the Providence Nurse-Family Partnership, call 907-212-6543. To find general information and specific health topics, visit our online health library.