Feeling Depressed, like you’re at a dead-end with no way out?
Are you used to being able to solve problems and handle situations? Are you facing a situation that seems hopeless? Keep reading. You do have options. The thought of telling someone your situation can be stressful. You want to know that they will care and be competent to make a difference.
Often, when people have suicidal thoughts, their goal is more to find relief from an overwhelming situation than to end their life. When we feel trapped and are under pressure, our decision making is impacted. We often don’t see viable options. It’s helpful to talk with someone. It’s likely that your situations Is complicated. That is why it’s important to talk with somebody who can address the intricacies of your situation opposed to looking at general information on the internet.Here are several options about who to talk to:
- A trusted friend or family member
- Look at your employer’s benefit information to see if they offer free, confidential counseling through Anchorage mental health therapists. If they do, you will see a telephone number that you can call to confidentially schedule a counseling appointment
- Your primary care physician may be able to prescribe medication if you’re not sleeping well or are experiencing overwhelming anxiety
- Counselors who answer local support lines: 563-3200, 1-877-266-4357, 1-800-273-8255
- Mental Health professionals at the Psychiatric Emergency Department at Providence Alaska Medical Center (212-2800).
It takes a step of faith to talk to someone, but it does work. People can put suicidal thoughts behind them and regain the hope that life can be good again.
If You're Considering Suicide
If you’re having thoughts of suicide, call the Alaska CARELINE (1-877-266-4357/HELP), Mental Health Emergency Counseling line (907-563-3200), or Suicide Prevention Hotline (1-800-273-8255) for help or contact a mental health professional, or reach out to someone you love and trust.
Suicide prevention works. People can and do put suicidal thoughts behind them.