How To Get Started

Currently, there are three Interventional Radiologists performing the UFE procedure at Providence Alaska Medical Center. Dr. Chakri Inampudi, Dr. Jonathon Coyle, and Dr.
Erik Maurer are Board Certified in diagnostic radiology, and have completed subspecialty fellowship training in Vascular and Interventional Radiology.
What is an Interventional Radiologist?
An interventional radiologist is a specially trained medical doctor who uses x-ray and other radiological imaging technologies to “see” inside the body. The images are used to guide small instruments through blood vessels and other pathways of the body to the problem site, where corrective action can be taken. Interventional radiologists are thus involved in the treatment of the patient (“interventional”), rather than solely in the diagnosis of disease (diagnostic radiology).

How to get started

Step 1
When considering UFE, discuss this option with your OB/GYN or Primary Care Provider. Since UFE is a relatively new procedure in the United States, your care provider may need more information before recommending it. We will be happy to provide them with additional information.
Step 2
Next, schedule a pre-procedure consultation with the interventional radiologist by calling (907) 261-3065. This involves a 30 minute appointment. The decision to move forward with the procedure must be a joint one between yourself, your doctor and the radiologist.
Step 3
Contact your insurance company prior to the procedure. Many insurance companies are aware of UFE and will usually cover the cost. We will be happy to provide them with information on UFE if requested.
Step 4
If your care team decides that UFE is appropriate for you, plan for one hour of preparation time in the hospital and one to one and a half hours for the procedure itself. In addition, you should be prepared to stay overnight in the hospital.
Step 5
Arrange for a flexible work schedule for one week following your UFE to allow adequate time for rest and recovery.
Step 6
Schedule appointments with your OB/GYN or Primary Care Provider for follow-up care.